Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Wreaths Across America...

Tonite, we bundled up yet again, and headed out into a very cold night. I am learning that this time called "winter" is cold. Mom said we were heading to some place important, and that - at the end of this week - we are taking a long trip to another very important place. To be truthful, I don't really know what is going on, but it sounds exciting. We arrived at Cabela's and I saw this big truck, all lit up.....
Mom said it was for "Wreaths Across America" and that the truck had a load of Christmas wreaths that would be on their way to Washington,DC - Arlington National Cemetery. And that is where we would be going, to help lay the wreaths on all the gravesites in Arlington. It would be a very special trip for my Mom and Dad, and for Kelli and Rick.. and of course for Moxie and myself... and from what I know, we are the first NEADS dogs to make this kind of a trip.
Now, the reason why we were at Cabela's tonite, is to welcome the trucks as they begin their way to Washington. It will take them all week to get there, as they make many stops, like this one, along the way. While we waited, Mom allowed me to greet and play with some other dogs, to try and keep warm.  
But, when we found out that the trucks were running late, we decided to go into the store and keep warm until they arrived. As always, we created quite a stir, people who also were waiting inside, we anxious to hear all about us, about NEADS, and about the trip that we were going on. Abbie loved showing us off... (that's Marv waiting nicely while Abbie and I are fooling around!!!)
Moxie took it all in stride... she lay quietly while all the people around her talked and asked questions....
And then, Mom made me do the same... she said it's good practice to know how to be still, even when all sorts of fun things are going on around you.
Then, we heard (what I thought was) a very strange sound. At first I wasn't so sure about it, and Mom, not wanting me to be afraid, moved me closer to the doors. It was a bagpipe and drum corps, that had come for the parade, and decided to entertain the crowd until the trucks arrived. Mom was so excited to hear them (she loves the bagpipes) but I'll be honest, it took me a little time to get used to it. The bagpipes make a very strange song and the drums were quite loud. But as I became more and more calm, Mom moved me in closer and closer. And by the time they had finished with their performance, I was laying quietly with the other dogs (Moxie and Marv didn't even care!!!)
Afterwards, Mom asked if we could get a picture of some of the corps members, they were happy to do so... and yes, asked all about us.
Finally, the trucks arrived. It was a big parade and celebration. They had police and fire trucks, motorcycles...people were cheering and clapping, and then the trucks rolled in... 30 all together. It was quite the thing......









Once the trucks were parked, all different kinds of ceremonies began. There were honor guards and military folks, it was very wonderful and very sad... at the same time.











They took a couple of wreaths off one of the trucks, and placed them at Cabela's... in honor of the wreaths that will be laid in Arlington....
Speeches were made, and the family that began this whole idea where there, and spoke to the crowd. My Mom cried a little, she said - happy tears - and even though, being a dog, I didn't know exactly what was going on... I did know that this is a very good thing.








My Mom told many people that we would also be going to Arlington... people thought that was wonderful. They said it would be an important job... I began to feel very grown up... and even service dog like.... Mom and Rick took this photo with us, in front of the Cabela's Wreath....







A wreath that is to honor all those who have served our country... who gave their lives doing so.. and who NEADS also supports... and we'll soon be going to do our part.....

No comments:

Post a Comment