Monday, December 9, 2013

Wreaths Across America..


This was the start of one busy weekend... Mom and I had places to go and things to see. It all started with a Christmas parade in the little town that Mom and Dad used to live in. The street was busy with all sorts of things and people... Mom stopped several times to say hello to people she knew and of course, everyone asked about me....
Baby Reagan was there.. he seemed as entertained about it all as I was.... it was cold, and everyone was bundled up snug...
I thought it was all very fun, and tried to look at as many things as I could. Mom said she was watching me carefully, to make sure that nothing upset me... but nothing did...
As the day got dark, the parade began. There were lots of lights, and bands.. and music of all kinds. Things that Mom called "floats" went by and people clapped and shouted. I stood and watched everything, everyone seemed so happy and it was great fun. 
My little buddy Abbie was there as well. We had a great time snuggling together and watching the parade go by. Abbie even took the time to tell me all about the things that we were seeing.....
Camille was with us too... she has been to many parades. Lots of people came by to pet us and talk about us. Many people were interested in me and seemed to know that Mom has raised other puppies like me....
The last thing in the parade was Santa!!! When "he" went by everyone was so excited... lots of clapping and cheering.... he had a loud voice and called out to all of us. I think it would have been fun to run over and jump up on that sleigh and ride with him!!!!
After the parade.. Mom and I walked over to the church. Her niece was playing her violin in a little concert and Mom wanted to hear her play. I go to church almost every week, so I know the drill... walk in quietly and "hide" under the pew. Some people seemed surprise to see me walking into church, but once they saw my back pack.. they knew I was a working dog. 
The concert was very nice, the music was quiet and the church was warm. I was very happy in my little spot.....
and warming up, I fell asleep. It wasn't until we got up to leave that many of the people around me even knew that I was there. 
Mom was offered a few rides back to Kassy's house, but we opted to walk. I think she wanted to enjoy the quiet of the night and see all the pretty lights. I certainly enjoyed the walk... Mom says that these are the special moments...
Back at Kassy's house (Reagan's home) everyone was there to enjoy good foods and warmth. There was so much food and everything looked so good. But I know my manners and again, just stayed quietly out of the way... it was a very fun night, however, Mom says the weekend isn't over yet. 
The next night, we met up with the puppy group and headed up to Cabela's... now I have been there before a few different times, but it certainly looked different tonite. Mom said that the "wreaths" were coming here.. not to sure what that means, but I can tell you it was very busy and one thing I noticed was this big beautiful flag handing across the street. 
As were we waiting, I began to hear sirens and see all sorts of lights. I could hear motorcycles and firetrucks, and then the trucks began to arrive. These trucks will be heading to Arlington National Cemetery where the wreathes will be laid at the grave sites that are there. Last year, Mom and Dad took Rylie (the puppy they raised) and followed to the trucks to Arlington and helped to lay the wreaths out. 
They are sad that they can't go this year and bring me along. I have heard about this trip and it sounded like it was a very fun thing. Mom said that it was such good training for Rylie and she would have liked me to have a trip like that.  Oh well.... I am just happy to go and "do" whatever Mom can come up with. 
After the trucks were parked, there was a service outside. I could tell this was quite an important time, and I watched quietly with Mom. At one point there was even a gun fire salute.. Mom was watching me carefully, just to be sure that I wouldn't be scared... but gunfire did not bother me one bit. 
I got to meet someone very special...this is Karen Worcester... her husband and her began this whole idea of Wreaths Across America. (if you would like to know more, they have a website). Mom talked with her for just a few moments (she was very busy).. but she got to tell her about their trip last year (and promised to send a copy of this picture to her). 
It will take the trucks a whole week to travel down because they make so many other stops along the way. And then there will be a big event in Arlington with thousands of people there to help out. Mom and Dad felt really sad they aren't going and I heard them say that next year they are certainly planning on going. 

We went back into Cabela's afterwards to warm up (another cold night) and I was so surprised to see that some of my other dog friends had come to join us. That's Ginger.... (mom's second puppy).. and Otis was there too with Linda... plus the other puppies as well... we had quite the reunion. 







The place had all kinds of things going on... including a bagpipe and drum corps... Mom and Dad love bagpipes and we stood close by and listened to all the wonderful songs. I have to admit the drums were a bit loud, but once I got used to them, it wasn't any big deal. 
It was great just to be able to visit with all our friends, we are usually so busy "working". So here's a great photo of our group... starting with me and Mom.. Ginger and Pastor Jane, Kathleen and Brutus.... then Linda with Otis, Linda with Rayvan, Rick and Kelli with Moxie...
and a doggie group photo... Moxie, Otis, Me (Debbie), Rayvan, Brutus and Ginger....
Such a busy night... the more the humans talked, the more the doggies began to sleep. Otis and Ginger know how to take advantage of their down time...










And I was pretty sleepy myself. It's been a very busy weekend... but I have to say, I love going out and seeing so many different things, and doing so many different things. Mom says it's "training", but I say it's just plain fun...

and so, it's another..... day with Debbie!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment