Saturday, August 24, 2013

a very special visit..

Mom said this morning that we were going to camp. I know camp.... I love camp!!!! and I can't wait to go. Camp is very close to our farm, so when we got in the car, and the ride was a very long one.... I began to wonder... "where's camp"..... and why is this different from the times before....
It's a very nice camp.... but I soon discovered it's not our camp... can't wait to see what this is all about.
Turns out that this is a camp for veterans who have been wounded. It's a very special place and the veterans can come here with their families.... and many do. Some come just to have some quiet time, others come to have some healing time, and some come... just to see what they can get from coming here.
It is peaceful, restful and encouraging. And we have come to talk about service dogs and answer any questions that the veterans may have about getting a service dog..
Our guide took us all about the camp, she told us about the different activities that were there. Rayvan and I had a good time together (I think we both would have had great fun in that lake) but Mom said we were working...
As we were going along, Mom noticed this dock.. it's different from the dock at our camp, because this one floated on the water. Mom asked if we could give it a try - stating that it would be a different texture for my footing. Our guide said sure, so out we went on it. I thought it was fun the way it moved about.....
Rayvan and her Mom tried it too..... as always... our humans keep their eyes open for "training opportunities".....
I didn't tell you who was on this adventure... Mom and I of course... Rayvan and Linda... and then Otis and Linda and Rick and Moxie.....
We got a lot of attention, and did a lot of exploring... and me, still being a puppy... I pooped out... People were just going to have to pet me while I slept....
Rayvan just waited patiently while her Mom talked to people. But my Mom would say that is good service dog practice too.....
There were a few other dogs there as well. This is Grizzley... he is a therapy dog, and actually belongs to the lady who was our guide. Grizzley is there to help make people feel better, he's very cute and very good at his job. The people who were visiting the camp talked alot about him.
We also met three working service dogs.. and one happened to be a NEADS dog... just like us. He has been matched with his handler for three years now, and he is greatly loved and worked by his owner. All the humans had great fun talking together about service dogs that are working and the puppies in training......







It was a very special day, at a very special place. Mom seems to think that a few of the veterans might one day be seen at NEADS... time will tell I guess. But, we did a good job and had fun letting people know that NEADS is there, and that a dog - like us - can truly change a life....

No comments:

Post a Comment