Thursday, August 22, 2013

my first check in..


I have been so busy telling you about my adventures, that I'm not so sure if I have said anything about the family that I live with. As you may have guessed, I live on a farm right now with lots of other animals... but I also have four brothers and sisters.... these are my brothers... Hunter and Trevor (and they are true brothers)... they are cocker spaniels and will be turning 12 very soon. They can be a bit on the cranky side and often don't put up with my puppy foolishness, but Mom says that's a good thing, because I need to learn how to be nice and thoughtful around other dogs.


And this is Camille... she's also a cocker.. she's the one that is with me the most... if Mom and I are traveling together, Camille comes with us as much as she is allowed (I understand that not all dogs can go to some of the places that I am allowed in). Camille is 10... she helps Mom teach the dog classes, and is my main mentor. There is also one more cocker (I'll have to post a picture some other time).. her name is Tazzy, she and I play well together and she does put up with my puppy foolishness. Mom also runs a small boarding kennel, so we have lots of other doggies that come and visit and will play with me. Over the upcoming year, I am sure there will be photos of me with the guest doggies that come.... then there are also horses, chickens, cats, guinea hens and even a rabbit and a guinea pig... who all live here on the farm. Mom says that I will certainly learn about other animals by living here!!!!
I attend a lot of puppy classes.. see my Mom is an obedience instructor. Over the summer we have just been doing a few classes a week, but Mom says that when the fall comes (whatever "fall" is) she will be teaching many classes, so I guess I will get my fill of them. (I still am not fond of the gentle leader and get into "trouble" when I fuss with it).......
I like going to puppy school.. I meet lots of new friends, and I get to work with other people than just Mom.... on Monday's I work with Kathleen (another puppy raiser)... and Mom says that I will even go to Kathleen's house (and other houses) to spend some time there. They call it a puppy swap and it's to help us get used to being in different places with different people.
I know how to be a good girl!!!!!
One of our latest adventures was going to  have the oil changed in the car. I have never been here before, but I know Mom has, because everyone was so happy to see her. They were also very happy to meet me.... (I guess they knew I was coming) and they asked about Mom's last puppy - Rylie -.. and wanted to know how she was doing. I was very good and practiced all my manners while we waited and Mom talked....
I even did some "under" work with the chairs in the waiting area. People smiled and said that I was a smart girl.....
but my biggest adventure of the week was going back to NEADS. Mom calls this a check-in and we pretty much do one a month. I know I have been here before, but it seems like a long time ago, and I wasn't here all that long, so it feels like a first time for me. It was a nice sunny day and there were other puppies that went with us....
When we first arrived, the humans all sit down and talk. Mom calls this the "round table talks" and it's the time when the puppy people tell Dave all about our time together. It's rather boring for us dogs, and we are required to wait quietly... but I will say the humans enjoy it greatly. Dave likes to hear all about what we have been doing and then he makes suggestions for the puppy raisers as to what they should be doing with our training....
I listened for awhile and then thought I could use my time better, by taking a little snooze. It's a long ride to NEADS from the farm and I thought I better store up some energy....
After the talking was done, we all went outside and Dave brought the van out. He wanted us puppies to see what the "lift" was and see what we thought about being around it. Personally, I thought the lift was great fun, and I really enjoyed jumping on and jumping off. Mom made it a very fun game and I could have done it all day.....
Rayvan and I had a little puppy party on the lift.. and the humans didn't even mind us fooling around on it. Mom said that if I was willing to play on the lift, it meant that I wasn't afraid of it..... me .. afraid??? no way.....
"See Mom".. this lift thing is easy.... just give me that cookie in your hand and life is good!!!!!
So, that was pretty fun and interesting.... next time I guess we will try riding on the lift instead of just jumping on and off. Someday I may have to "work" on the lift, but for now..it's just a puppy game.
Then it was back into the jeep and we were heading into the "city"... Mom said it would be very different from our farm, but she said there would be many things to do and see... I can't wait.. I love seeing new things.
She was right, the city is VERY different from the farm. One thing... were is all the green grass.... everywhere I looked was cement and pavement. It was also very loud - it pretty quiet on the farm - and then there were so many smells and sights. I wasn't afraid, but it was hard to take it all in......
We walked up and down the sidewalks for a bit (Mom said she wanted to be super sure that I was "empty") and then finally we went into a big building. The humans found some places to sit and then got lunch. Mom said this was the hospital and that I will visit it often when we go to NEADS... I didn't really care what she called it... I was happy to take a nap, it had been a busy day already.....
These are called elevators... and we'll be riding in them. I did learn a secret about my Mom though... she is afraid of elevators!!! and will only get in one if she absolutely has to. I guess when she raised her first puppy, she had a really hard time riding them, but with each dog that she works with, she is getting better becasue she has to help her puppies get used to them. Dave said that today, I wouldn't be riding them..just watching the others.. and Mom said that was jsut fine with her!!!!
We played in the hosptial for a little bit, I mostly watched what the other (older) puppies did and then we walked over to see the train. I thought the train was kind of neat... it is very loud, but that was OK. Some of the older puppies practiced walking on and off the train, but Mom and I mostly watched. Being my first time into the city, both Mom and Dave like puppies to take it slow and just get the idea of it all.....
Boring!!!! I could have done way more than they expected me too!!!!!!
And then our last stop was the bus station. That was a busy place, the buses were pulling in and out, there were so many people and lots of bags and things being dragged around. I just watched with great interest....









But then... I heard Dave said "it's been a very successful day, let's wrap it up and head back"... sounds good to me, becuase by now I was getting rather tired and I think I'll be happy to get back to the quiet of the farm. Either way, my first check in was great fun and I understand there are many more to come...


but that just one day in the life of Debbie!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment