Friday, November 19, 2010

the closing post.....

It has taken me a long time to write the closing post to Chester's blog. For some reason, I posted it right away on the farm blog, and then just guess I haven't wanted to re-visit this, until now. Not that I regret in any way taking on this wonderful project, but it has come full circle and I now completely understand the story of a puppy raiser. That being said, I anxiously await the arrival of our next puppy, for I am a "lifer" in the puppy raiser game. I had a few quiet moments to myself with Chester before we headed out, actually it wasn't til just a few days ago that I even knew this picture had been taken of the two of us.... Chester being "Mr. goofy boy" and I knowing what the day was about to bring to us... well, this says it all.......








(as written on the farm blog - September 20,2010) "So... how did it go?"


Today was "turn in day" for our Chester. I like to refer to it as "turn in day" because now the real training begins that will "turn Chester into a service dog". And even though it was a day of tears, I want to assure all dear readers, that I feel very much at peace this evening, and I feel it has been a job well done. I'm excited for the future and eagerly await the progress reports.

For those of you who know me personally, you know that God and my faith are a HUGE part of my life. I live knowing that God is in every part of my life. And not to make this a sermon, but as you read at how this day played out, I am certain you can see where the Good Lord was working His wonderful way. We started the day out with a photo opt at the farm. Chester has spent much of his first year here (as well as at the camp) and I wanted "something" that put this on record. The we loaded up and headed out.

I picked up my dear friend Kathleen, then Ed with Sadie and Abbie went and picked up Rick, and two trucks headed for NEADS.



We arrived safe and sound on this beautiful fall day. I was so pleased to have all this company with Chester and I. My had never been to NEADS, so it was nice to show them around. Now, when I talk about the campus, they will know just what it is like.



I took Chester for a little "pit" stop and the others went into the building to do the same for themselves. When I entered the building, a man came into the lobby with a yellow lab. He sat and waited for a while, we smiled at each other. He kept petting the dog, talking to him and telling him "what a good boy" he was. I asked him "is this your dog" and a huge smile appeared on his face. "Yes", he answered "we were matched last week, he is such a joy and you can't believe how much my life has changed in just this short time". He then asked me about Chester, and when he found out I was a puppy raiser and that we were here for turn in, he nearly teared up and said "thank you so much for what you do, people like you do so much for people like me". (Okay, it was all I could do already not to burst into tears!!!)


Then one of the trainers, Brain, came out and said to the man "ready to train, we'll head up to the training room" I asked Brian if we could take a quick look at the training room before they began (I wanted Ed and everyone to see it) and Brain said "come on up and watch us work". This was such a gift for me, because as hard as it was to be turning Chester in.. to have this opportunity to talk with this gentleman and watch them work, brought it back to me... "why" I had decided to give this a try. Definitely the Good Lord .. reminding me what "it" was all about.


This is what we got to see (among several tasks) this beautiful dog, turning on the lights, fetching the phone, opening the frig and taking out a bottle of water...











Opening a door, and closing it behind him. And the whole time this dog worked, you could easily see his happy spirit. But even more so, was the owner, because at each task accomplished, done correctly, done better... his handling skills improved, the confidence in his voice and his directions became clearer... better. I could have stayed the whole day and just watch lessons like this.







Dave then took the group to the puppy house. There were lots of puppies in right now, and both Kathleen and I hope that "our puppies" will be coming soon. Maybe within a couple of weeks, but we do understand that much is still be sorted out before it all comes to that.








Then it got down the wire on time. So, we took some family shots....










and photos with Rick and Kathleen - who aside from Ed and my family - have been my biggest supporters.....












a "good-bye" kiss captured.....




and then, our final walk together..... for me, the end of a good time and many wonderful memories... and for the golden boy.. the beginning of his next chapter in life...








"Best wishes, Buddy... I will always love you and will always hold onto that little spot in my heart that belongs just to you... and tonite, in my prayers... I will say a prayer for you future owner and all the wonderful things that you will bring to their life... because you certainly brought it to mine"

No comments:

Post a Comment