Sunday, November 17, 2013

it's called "graduation....


As we got into the car this morning and met up with all my other puppy friends... Mom told me that this is a very special day... and maybe one day... I'll will have a special day just like this... I'm not too sure what it's all about, it just feels like another adventure to me, but Mom and the other puppy Moms seem very happy and excited about it all. They call it "graduation" and I think I need to pay attention and see what this is.
When it we arrived, it was pretty crowded, there were lots of people and dogs there. We found out seats and Mom talked to the people sitting around us. I heard her say my name several times and told everyone about me... I like to hear Mom talking about me.....
The only thing that concerned me, was Mom seemed sort of sad and sort of happy all at the same time. She kept wiping her eyes and said that she always forgets to bring kleenex when  she goes to "graduation". I guess this must be pretty important.....
After a little bit, we saw all these folks up on stage. Mom told me this was the graduating class. Wow... look how many "teams" there are.... John got up and talked, as did some other folks. Mom was really enjoying all of this, I could tell.....
and then, after the speeches... groups of handlers and dogs stepped forward. They told stories about their dogs and the experience they have had with NEADs and now living with service dogs. There was lots of clapping and I saw that other people were crying too. I'm not so sure why these people (including Mom) getting all upset.... but each time I checked in with Mom.. she told me that everything was really OK.
Mom was pretty happy to see the yellow lab on the right... she told me his name is Radar...Mom knows his weekend puppy raiser and Radar is also going to be living in Maine. So, even though Mom doesn't know Radar or his handler personally... she was very excited to see them and have the chance to watch them work together. 
I finally gave up and went to sleep.... I know that this is a special day and that Mom and the others were greatly enjoying it.. but for me, it was just a spot where I had to 'be good" and "do my work".... actually I don't mind, just being out and about is fun with me. 
At each graduation, Mom said they have some of the "trained" dogs show what they know. This dog is Hope... and it turns out that Hope spent some time on the farm with Mom. She is also Rylie's sister... and Rylie was the last puppy that Mom raised. 
Hope is really clever girl, but Mom has told me that I can do things like this as well, and that one day, my advance training will help me learn to do this. Right now, though, Mom and I are working on good obedience, and great social skills.....
After the graduation ceremony we met in the hall ways. There were treats (for the humans).... and everyone was happy and talking. It was very crowded and hard to walk, but Mom said that was good training for me. I just stuck close to her side and did what was asked. A lot of people asked about me and wanted to know how my training was coming along. 





Not that I really noticed, but Mom said that all the graduating dogs wore red vests instead of blue... now I think I am beginning to understand what Mom means when she says to me...


"Debbie... it's all about the red vest"... so, until the day comes when I might receive a "red vest".. I'll just keep  working with Mom and studying my lessons....

and that is...


a day with Debbie!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment