Sunday, September 15, 2013

NH run for the fallen....


We were up, bright and early this morning. Another beautiful day, it seems like Mom and Dad just have to be out on days that are so pretty. I love going with them, even if it does mean we are on the road early....
But, as you can see, we were hardly the only ones up... Today we went to an event called "New Hampshire Run for the Fallen".. a road "race" in honor of the men and women of New Hampshire that gave their lives for our country. It's a long race... 12 miles... some people run it, others walk, but it's all to remember these special people.
And, part of my family was doing the race!!! Nate and Kass.... Lauren and John.... (Reagan isn't "racing"... we're going to watch him while his Mom and Dad do the course).....
And... they're off... with a lot of other people as well.....
While the course was being done, I hung out with Mom, Dad and Reagan.... we had a little time for breakfast and to enjoy the beautiful park where the race began. Mom talked with a lot of people about me and NEADS (she always seems to do that when we are out and about).....
A memorial area was put together ... it showed the names and pictures of the fallen soldiers.... set up near the sea, it was a beautiful spot. Mom, Dad and I walked threw and read all the names.....
I don't exactly understand it all, but I felt very happy that I could be there.....
A special photo that Mom took....
There were great walking paths around the park, so we took Reagan out on them. More stroller practice Mom said....
And even threw some tight spots... she said I was very good working with her....
A bit before the runners were due back, some gentlemen came to play the bagpipes. My Mom and Dad love hearing the bagpipes, I had never heard them before, so Mom said this was going to be another good "experience for me"...
When they began to play, I hardly noticed... Reagan (on the other hand) noticed right away... I think you can tell from the look on his face... he wasn't too impressed.
I sat and listened. I can't say that I love the music as much as Mom and Dad does, but it was alright.
Then I heard everyone clapping and cheering, and when I looked, here came the runners.... many carried small flags with them.
And then went to certain places - where pictures of their loved ones were - to place their little flags on their memorials. This made my Mom cry - along with other people, and the surprising thing... it was so quiet when this was being done. No one spoke, the music stopped, and everyone just watched and quietly paid attention.
Afterwards, people starting talking again, hugging each other and sharing a special time together. A lady came around with small pins and she gave one to my Mom to place on my vest.












Another lady came around and talked to Mom a long time about me. I could tell that she was a little upset, and when she asked if she could hug me... Mom said, absolutely. She gave me a long hug and I cuddled right in and gave her as much comfort as I could. She seemed to feel much afterwards, and said to Mom "thank you for the information, I'll be passing that along"....


It was a nice day, but tiring and I was happy when it was time to head for home. Mom said that we had to make one stop... at Kass and Nate's house, to "pick up the beetle" and bring it back home. I know the "beetle" is a car... and Mom said I would be riding with her....








With the top down!!!. Fine with me, the sun was out, it was warm... and I really enjoyed the ride. Mom said I can add that to "my list of things to know"...

riding in the car without a roof....



and that's just another "day with Debbie!!!"

No comments:

Post a Comment