Saturday, July 5, 2014

traveling wall


We left camp today to go on a very special outing. Mom said this would be a day of some pretty important things, and that I would have a lot of attention. We went to see "the traveling wall"... a miniature version of the Vietnam Wall which is in Washington DC. When Mom raised my half sister, Rylie... they went to DC and saw the "real wall". We might go there too, in December.. but for now, this one is pretty nice. 

We arrived there early.... Mom wanted a chance to look at the wall, when there wouldn't be too many people. And she also wanted to help set up a tent where Linda would have all kinds of information on NEADs and service dogs. 

As people began to arrive, you could sense how special this tribute is. And for  being outside and with so many people, I can tell you... it was a very quiet place. 
Mom said this is one of the trailers that carry the wreaths down to Arlington National Cemetery in December. We are all hoping we can go and help lay the wreaths out again this year. But, that's a long way off right now. 

I watched as people came to visit.. I got so many smiles and pats... people asked my Mom lots of questions about me, "what" I was doing, and service dogs in general. It was a great way to spread the news....

Here's our information tent. As you can see, it was a good thing we had it, because a rain storm went threw. Made for a wet few minutes, but the nice thing, it also cooler the temperature down. (and I was getting quite hot)...
These ladies are the "Freeport Flag Ladies"... they are pretty famous around here. Every Tuesday, since Sept. 11, 2001... they have stood out on the sidewalk in Freeport Maine, and held up flags.. honoring all the people who were killed that day. They have no missed one Tuesday since then, they stand in all kinds of weather... and help us to remember....

I was getting a bit tired and this nice little boy scout offered a soft spot for me to rest. ( I love kids!!!)

Abbie was tired too.. so during the speeches and ceremonies, we both decided to take a little snooze.....
Otis and I posed for a photo... lots of people stopped to take them........














It was all about remembering our veterans... honoring those who have served us so well.... 


I'm always happy to give them a hug!!!







a year with Danny Boy


No comments:

Post a Comment